Saturday, February 24, 2024
Home Word News Titanic sub search expands to ocean floor, 'debris field' discovered

Titanic sub search expands to ocean floor, ‘debris field’ discovered

The desperate search for a missing submersible near the wreck of the Titanic entered a critical juncture on Thursday when air was expected to run out for the five people aboard, but officials vowed to continue scouring the remote North Atlantic.

A remotely operated vehicle deployed from a Canadian vessel to the ocean floor discovered a “debris field” near the Titanic, the US Coast Guard said on Thursday morning on Twitter, adding that experts were “evaluating the information.”

Another robot from a French research ship was also sent diving toward the seabed to search for signs of the 22-foot (6.7-meter) Titan submersible.

The van-sized Titan, operated by US-based OceanGate Expeditions, began what was to be a two-hour descent at 8 am (1200 GMT) on Sunday but lost contact with its support ship.

The submersible set off with 96 hours of air, according to the company, which means the oxygen would be exhausted by Thursday morning, assuming the Titan is still intact. Precisely when depends on factors such as whether the craft still has power and how calm those on board are, experts say.

Rescuers and relatives of the Titan’s five occupants took hope when the US Coast Guard said on Wednesday that Canadian search planes had recorded undersea noises using sonar buoys earlier that day and on Tuesday.

But remote-controlled underwater vehicles searching where the noises were detected did not yield results, and officials cautioned the sounds might not have originated from the Titan.

US Coast Guard rear admiral John Mauger told broadcaster NBC earlier on Thursday that the search would continue throughout the day.

Deep sea adventure

The Titanic, which sank in 1912 on its maiden voyage after hitting an iceberg, killing more than 1,500 people, lies about 900 miles (1,450 km) east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and 400 miles (640 km) south of St. John’s, Newfoundland.

The Titan’s deep-sea excursion to the shipwreck capped a tourist adventure for which OceanGate charges $250,000 per person.

The passengers included British billionaire and adventurer Hamish Harding, 58, and Pakistani-born business magnate Shahzada Dawood, 48, with his 19-year-old son Suleman, who are both British citizens.

French oceanographer and leading Titanic expert Paul-Henri Nargeolet, 77, and Stockton Rush, the U.S. founder and chief executive of OceanGate, were also on board. Rush is married to a descendant of two of the Titanic victims.

“We’re waiting anxiously, we hardly sleep,” said Mathieu Johann, Nargeolet’s editor at his publisher Harper Collins.

Sean Leet, who heads a company that jointly owns the support ship, the Polar Prince, has said all protocols were followed before the submersible lost contact.

“There’s still life support available on the submersible, and we’ll continue to hold out hope until the very end,” said Leet, chief executive of Miawpukek Horizon Maritime Services.

Questions about Titan’s safety were raised in 2018 during a symposium of submersible industry experts and in a lawsuit filed by OceanGate’s former head of marine operations, which was settled later that year.

Even if the Titan were located, retrieving it would present huge logistical challenges.

If the submersible had managed to return to the surface, spotting it would be difficult in the open sea and it is bolted shut from the outside, so those inside cannot exit without help.

If Titan is on the ocean floor, a rescue would have to contend with the immense pressures and total darkness at that depth. British Titanic expert Tim Maltin said it would be “almost impossible to effect a sub-to-sub rescue” on the seabed.

It may also be difficult to find the Titan amid the wreck.

“If you’ve seen the Titanic debris field, there’ll be a thousand different objects that size,” said Jamie Pringle, a forensic geoscientist at Keele University in the United Kingdom. “It might be an endless task.”

Sarvan Sarvanhttps://max28news.com/
Sarvan is a dynamic journalist with three years of experience, currently making a significant impact as a reporter for Max28news. Recognized for his astute reporting skills and commitment to delivering accurate news, Sarvan has quickly established himself as a trusted and influential voice in the field of journalism.
RELATED ARTICLES

China asserting claim on Arunachal Pradesh is ‘not a new thing’: Kapil Sibal 

As Beijing released its latest edition of the so-called “standard map,” showing the state of Arunachal Pradesh and the Aksai Chin region...

Ukrainian drones strike deep in Russian territory

Ukraine sent waves of drones deep into western Russia in more than four hours of nighttime attacks that struck military assets, Russian...

US: Trump campaign raises over $7 million since mugshot

The former US president’s campaign has collected nearly $20 million in the past three weeks, when he was indicted over false claims...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

New Zealand chase down Pakistan to win fourth T20 international

Daryl Mitchell and Glenn Phillips combined to steer New Zealand to a seven-wicket win over Pakistan in the fourth Twenty20 international in...

Hazlewood, Head put Australia in command against West Indies

An inspired spell of bowling from Josh Hazlewood and a brilliant attacking century from Travis Head put Australia in complete control of...

Obviously will talk to Shakib, Mashrafe when we meet: Tamim

Fortune Barishal skipper Tamim Iqbal said that he would talk to Bangladesh's all-format captain Shakib Al Hasan when he was asked whether...

ICC bans cricketer Nasir for two years

The International Cricket Council (ICC) banned Bangladesh cricketer and franchise player Nasir Hossain from all cricket for two years, with six months...

Recent Comments